Sunday, June 19, 2016

God Does Answer Prayers! - Something I learned as a Young Boy

日本語は英語の下にあります。ぜひ読んで下さい
  
A few years ago my mother passed away. This is one of my favorite memories of her. This little event has had a huge impact on my life. This was the beginnings of my testimony of prayer. The year is around 1972 and the location, Visalia, Calfornia.

 - William McIntyre

I learned at a young age that our Father in Heaven really does answers prayers.  As a boy of about 8 or 9 years of age, I often biked around the block to the street behind my house to play with my friends. There was a large walnut orchard behind my house that separated my street from the neighborhood behind us. The trip around the block was not all that far, but with the extra distance due to the orchard, to a young boy it seemed like a major journey. To complicate the trip, there were some boys that lived in a house on the corner behind our street. They were the neighborhood bullies and passing by their house was a scary experience. I remember rounding the corner each time and riding as fast as I could in hopes that they would not see me or at least not be able to catch me.

One day after playing with my friends around the block, I was riding home and to my great fear, these boys were out in the street right in my path. It was as if they were waiting for me. They were your typical neighborhood bullies and I was sure they saw in me a younger boy they could take advantage of. They seemed to think the corner was theirs and they had the right to torment anyone who past it. I stopped as soon as I saw them. I was still a few hundred yards away. I remember sitting on my bike at the curb near the sidewalk. I was terrified. I thought they would beat me up for sure.

At first, I hoped they had not noticed me, but then I saw them start walking my way. I had to think quick. I imagined myself dropping my bike and making a mad dash for the front door of the house I was stopped in front of. Then I thought, but if they are not home and no one answers the door, I am a dead man!

I felt helpless and alone. The only thing I could think to do was pray. I prayed in my heart that they would not hurt me and that I could somehow get away. I could not see anyway out of this problem. I prayed harder asking my Father in Heaven to help me be safe and know what to do.

I stood for what seemed like a long time, but was probably only a minute or two, as they approached. The boys started yelling things at me as they got closer. Soon they were so close it was evident I would have to run or fight. I prayed for super human strength or at least super human speed so they would not be able to catch me.
As I stood my ground and they continued to tease me, I saw something that not only surprised me, but brought great relief to my situation. Just up the street behind the bullies I saw our old brown Dodge station wagon slowly turn the corner and start to make its way towards us. It was my mother. I gained that super human strength and told the boys they should leave me alone! When they saw the car and it was apparent that my rescue had arrived, the bullies quickly ran off back towards their house.

 My prayer was answered!

The funny thing is my mother had never come to pick me up before and I wasn't late. There was no real reason for her to come looking for me. When I asked her why she was had come, she simply said she felt like she should come and see where I was. It was then I knew. The Holy Ghost answered my prayer by speaking in a still small voice to my mother. I was never alone facing those bullies. Father had heard my prayer and His Spirit was with me and protecting me. And my mother was able to hear and act upon His prompting.

I learned that day that the God does hear and answer prayers. I learned he does not always answer them in the way we expect him to or sometimes want him to, but he does answer.  I also learned that he often answers our prayers through someone else. While I expected to have something happen to me, like great sudden human strength, the Spirit quietly answered my prayer by speaking to one who would listen, one in tune who could help me.  And she came to my rescue. How grateful I am for a mother who was able to hear the still small voice and have the courage to act on that prompting.

Since that day, I have never doubted that God is there. I have never questioned if he hears my prayers. I have also tried to act upon the promptings I feel from time to time in hopes that in some way, I might be able to be the answer to someone’s prayer like my mother was to mine that day I faced the bullies and she came to my rescue.
Yes, God is there and he hears and answers the humble and sincere prayer.

日本語

数年前、私の母は他界しました。これは、母の思い出話の一つとして私の好きなものです。この小さな出来事が、私の人生に大きなインパクトを与えました。これが私の祈りに対する証の始まりとなったからです。これは約1972年、カリフォルニア州、バイセリア市で起こりました。    (ウイリアム・マッキタイヤー)

私は幼くして、天の御父が 本当に私たちの祈りにこたえてくださることを学びました。当時8歳、9歳くらいの私は、家の裏手にある友達の家に自転車で遊びに出かけていました。家の裏手には大きな木の実の畑があり、その畑を超え、道を超えたところに友達の家がありました。その家まで、距離にすれば大したものではなかったと思うのですが、子供の頃はこの畑の脇の道を通り、友達の家にたどり着くのがとても長く感じられました。また、この道のりに加え、家の裏手から先に進んだ一つ目の角に住む数人の男子の事で、さらに気が重くなっていました。彼らは近所のいじめっ子たちで、彼らの家の前を通るのはとても怖いことでした。毎回、彼らの家の前を見つからないように、また捕まらないように急いでその角を曲がったのを覚えています。

ある日、友達の家で遊んだ後、不安を感じながら家に向かい自転車をこぎ始めると、その先には何とあのいじめっ子たちがいたのです。彼らはまるで私を待ち構えているかのように見えました。彼らは典型的ないじめっ子で、彼らからすると年下の私はからかうには丁度良い相手に見えたでしょう。彼らは近所の角はまるで自分たちが管理してる場所とでも言うように、だれでもそこを通る子供をいじめていました。私は彼らを目にするなり自転車を止めました。彼らから数百メートルは離れていたでしょう。私は自転車にまたがったまま、その場に立ちすくんでしまいました。怖くて仕方がなかったからです。彼らが私を何もなく通らせるわけがないとわかっていました。

私は初めに彼らが私に気づかないようにと望みました。しかし、彼らは私の方に向かって歩き出したのです。何かすぐに対処しなければと思いました。自転車を降りて急いで近所の家に助けを求めることを考えました。しかし、もしそこの住人が留守だとしたら、私は死んだも同然です!

私は自分が何もできない、一人だと感じていました。その時私が思いついたのはただ祈ることです。私は彼らが私をいじめることなく、どうにかして私がこの場から逃げられるように心の中で祈りました。私はこの状態からどのようにして抜け出せるか考えることができませんでした。ただ私は天の御父に私を助けを求め、どうすればよいのかと強く祈りました。

実際、彼らが近づいてくるのには数分だけだったと思うのですが、自分がそこに長くたっていたように感じられました。彼らは近づくにつれ私に向かって何か叫んでいます。すでに彼らは私が走って逃げるか、喧嘩するかという選択をしなければならないほどの距離ほどに近づいてきました。私はスーパー人間の力かスーパー人間の速さで、彼らが私を捕まえないようにと祈りました。

私はその場に立ったまま、彼らが私をからかい始めた時です。私は驚くばかりではなく、その場を逃れられる安堵感を感じる何かを見たのです。それは、いじめっ子たちの住む道から茶色の古いステーションワゴンが角を曲がってこちらに向かってきたからです。それは私の母でした。私はスーパー人間の力を得たかのように、そのいじめっ子たちに、私に構わないでくれ!と言ったのです。彼らは、その車と救いに来た母を見ると急いで家に戻っていきました。

私の祈りはこたえられました!

おかしなことに、私の母は、一度でも私を友達の家に迎えに来たことはありませんでした。また私の帰宅が遅れたわけでもありません。私を探しに来る理由などなかったのです。私が母になぜ迎えに来たのか聞くと、彼女はただ私が何をしてるのか行ってみるべきだと感じたからと答えてくれました。その時私はわかったのです。聖霊が私の祈りを聞き、母に小さな声で囁いたのだと。いじめっ子達を相手に私は一人ではなかったのです。天の御父は私の祈りを聞き、聖霊が私と共にいて守ってくれていたのです。そして私の母はその聖霊の囁きを聞いてくれたのです。

その日、私は天の御父が私たちの祈りを聞き、こたえてくださることを学んだのです。私は天のお父様は、彼にしてほしい事や、私たちが望むようなこたえ等にいつもこたえてくれるわけではないことも学びました。そして多くの場合、彼は他の人を通してこたえてくれることも学びました。あの日私が自分に何か起こると感じ、人間が出し切れるすべての力により求めた時、聖霊がそれにこたえ、私と同様に囁きに耳を傾けられる人に伝えたのです。そして彼女が助けに来たのです。小さな囁きを聞き、行動を起こした母にとても感謝しています。

あの日以来、私は神様の存在を疑ったことはありません。また彼が私の祈りを聞いているだろうかと思ったこともありません。また私自身、あの日、聖霊の囁きに耳を傾け、私を助けに来てくれた母のように 誰かの祈りにこたえられるように備えようとしてきました。

そうです。神様は存在し、私たちの謙遜で心からの祈りを聞いてくださいます。

No comments:

Post a Comment