36. That the rights (authority) of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.
37. They can be conferred upon us (formal authority), it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or gratify our pride, our vain ambition, OR to EXERCISE CONTROL or DOMINION or COMPULSION upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, amen to the priesthood or AUTHORITY of that man.
42. By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile
43. Reproving betimes with sharpness, WHEN MOVED UPON by the HOLY GHOST; (not when emotional and angry) and then showing forth afterwards an INCREASE of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy.
44. That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.
45. Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; THEN shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of GOD and the DOCTRINE of the priesthood shall distill upon thy soul (MORAL authority comes) as the dews from heaven.